List of 70 B2B Niches & 5 Strategies to Market to them
Best List of B2B Niches & 5 Strategies to Market to them
Below is the authoritative list of niches for B2B (business to business) sales and marketing. This list of B2B business niches could be used for many sectors, but in this case, it's particularly good for anyone looking to target, attract and convert particular niches for their accounting firms, bookkeeping businesses & CPA firms. You'll see some other resources around the internet like this for accountants, this for tax firm niches, this article talking about copywriting niches, and then there's the mega list of niches.
The riches are in the niches.
Here's a list of niches and the smartest ways to market to them.
If you market and target a specific niche, you’re more likely to have success -YOU KNOW THAT ALREADY.
But let's talk about specific reasons why you should target niches.
Most of these are successful industries and sectors for B2B (business to business) companies such as accountants, CPA firms, attorneys, commercial insurance agents, digital marketing firms, web design companies, video production companies, print companies, and a host of other B2B organizations.
2 Ways you can target a niche:
- Your overall business can niche entirely
- Create specific campaigns to market to a particular niche
Should you work exclusively with specialized niches?
Single niche specialization can be good, until it isn’t.
A major advantage of working exclusively in your niche is that you’re able to be much more efficient because you don’t have to relearn every time you get a new engagement.
The downside of working exclusively in a niche is that you are vulnerable to many different risks. During the pandemic, or regulation changes, having clients in different industries provides a level of security.
Let’s talk about some specific strategies that you can use to target niches and drive leads from these sectors or industries.
You don't have to work exclusively with a niche, but you can market specifically to them.
in fact, the pandemic showed the value of having multiple niches you serve.
Here's 5 strategies to target and market to a niche, we'll unbox each of these below.
5 Strategies to market to specific niches:
- Paid Search Ads with Landing Pages & Retargeting
- Niche Facebook & LinkedIn Lead Magnet Ads
- Niche Youtube Videos
- Top and Middle of Funnel Content Marketing
- Sub Website targeting the niche
I’m going to talk more about each of these strategies later in the article. For now, let’s all look at this super long list of industry niches.
A list of business to business niches and sectors.
- Fitness instructors and personal trainers
- Photographers and videographers
- Insurance agents
- Software start ups
- E-commerce professionals
- Sealcoat and asphalt Companies
- Remodelers and renovation companies
- General contractors
- Landscaping companies
- Lawn care, fertilizing and weed control
- Salons and beauticians
- Aestheticians & beauticians
- Dentists & orthodontists
- Tree removal companies and arborists
- Outdoor recreational supply companies
- Construction supply stores
- Food trucks& Farmer market vendors
- Uber drivers, Lyft & Ride Share
- Trucking and transportation companies
- Owner operator truck drivers
- Excavating contractors
- Roofing and siding repair companies
- Home window installation companies
- Automotive mechanic and repair
- Youtubers and influencers
- Surgeons, doctors and healthcare companies
- Real estate agents and brokerages
- Independent Insurance agents and brokerages
- Concrete contractors
- Patio and deck Installation Companies
- Manufacturing (such a huge niche)
- Niche dealerships and suppliers (obscure, large dollar purchases)
- Pumping and Septic Tank Companies
- Plumbers & Plumbing Companies
- Electricians and Electrician Companies
- Drilling & Well Companies
- Crane Operating Companies
- Crane Servicing Companies
- Elevator & Escalator Installation & Repair companies
- Pool Installation Companies
- Diesel Repair and Fleet Service Companies
- Heavy machinery & Tractor dealerships
- Private Aircraft mechanic & repair
- Watercraft & Boat Dealerships
- Watercraft and Boat Motor Repair Companies
- Taxidermists & Taxidermy Companies
- Car Wrap, Decal & Print Companies
- Carpet & Flooring Companies & Contractors
- Medics Supply Companies
- Upwork, Fiver Gig Professionals with 1099 income
- Farmers & agriculture
- Non profits, churches, synagogues or Mosques
- Private Schools & academies
- Swim Schools
- Gymnastics teams, clubs & coaches
- Professional Athletes
- Real Estate Investment Companies
- Property management companies
- Small Landlords & investment property owners
- Screen printing, embroidery & stitching companies
- Oil & petroleum companies
- Pest control & exterminators
- Franchise owners
- Land Surveyors & engineers
- Engineering firms & professionals
- Attorneys & Law offices
- Lice removal specialists (my friends' family just taught me this was a thing today)
Not every single one of these is worth pursuing individually, but this list of business to business niches came about because between my old tax and accounting firm, and Feedbackwrench, I’ve had clients in each and everyone of these industries or sectors.
Now let’s talk a little bit about how to fully utilize each of the strategies I’m mentioning here to target these sectors and niches, and create a thorough lead system for them.
5 Strategies to Market to a business to business niche
1 - Paid Search Ads with Landing Pages & Retargeting
Search marketing is amazing because it shows intent.
If somebody searches a solution with your niche keyword modifier on it, there’s really only two reasons why they would be searching for it. They are either a competitor checking it out, or they are somebody who is going to purchase that service or good sometime in the future.
Search queries show buyer intent and help you find qualified buyers. Search engine marketing is a combination of both paid search ads and content marketing.
Paid search = pay to cut in the front of the line.
Content marketing and SEO = long term strategy to win free organic traffic, eventually.
Paid search ads is what I’ll hit on here.
Content Marketing is all about writing authoritative content and working to build up its authority so that it ranks higher in organic search traffic; while paid search ads use the Google ad or Bing ad system to jump to the front of the line.
Niche paid search ad example:
Website companies vs. accounting website companies. “Accounting” is a modifier to the core commercial keyword.
This is a niche search strategy.
What does a niche search strategy look like?
- Identify niche keyword
- Write niche optimized ad copy
- Point to a niche optimized landing page
You will add a niche industry modifier to the broad category keyword and then create a hyper optimized Google search ad and Bing search ad.
You’ll want to use a phrase match keyword type so that it’s fairly strict in when it triggers.
That hyper optimized niche Google search ad will then point to a landing page that is optimized for that specific niche or industry.
Niche Optimization for Search Ads:
What goes into optimizing for niche search ads?
- Select niche phrase match keywords
- Write niche optimized search ads in Google Ads
- Create a niche landing page experience
When you create relevancy between the Google keywords, the ad copy and the landing page, you will win the auction easier and pay less money for the click.
Niche Ad Copy for Google Search Ads:
When you create your ad, you should use a dynamic search ad and also do a little homework with an SEO keyword tool or the keyword planner within Google ads.
Identify the different ways that people are going to ask about this niche and put together two or three dynamic search ads.
Negative keyword lists
You want to build a thorough negative keyword list so that your ad doesn’t show up for ancillary searches that have different search intent. Think of all the other companies targeting this niche, you don’t want to show up for bad keyword searches.
Website companies vs. Accounting websites.
If you used a phrase match of “accounting websites,” your ad would probably show up for “website training” and “accounting courses” if you're not careful.
Examples of good negative keywords:
Type of Paid Search Campaigns Good for Niche Advertising:
What’s the best type of paid search ad when targeting a niche or specific sector?
I recommend using a responsive search ad with a goal of either conversions, target conversion cost or ROAS (Return on Ad Spend).
All of these use conversions as their goal which taps into the ultimate machine learning, leading to continuous improvement for your campaign.
Type of paid search ads:
Campaign goal type: Conversions
Ad Type: Responsive search ad
Do you need to set up conversions?
I’m not going to deep dive into the importance of setting up your actual conversion actions for your Google ads campaigns, but I need to mention it here.
In short, when you set up specific triggers such as filling out a form, or clicking on a phone number, and then tell the advertising system that that trigger is a conversion action, you’ll be able to run ads for that specific conversion action.
Top Conversions to use in Ads:
- Form fill outs
- Click on phone number links
- Download lead magnets
If you don’t setup conversions, you can’t optimize to use machine learning. Not all ad types and campaign objectives use machine learning which takes advantage of the tracking and data mining big tech performs.
Machine learning optimized ads will tap into the most potent advertising systems available. Use conversions so your ads improve over time by utilizing machine learning.
Targeting your niche rather than the broad category is going to help you close more sales because the end-user is going to feel that you cater directly to them and their specific needs.
Besides the psychological advantages, you’ll see that there’s also a financial advantage.
Large companies struggle to spend the time to create specific niche campaigns and advertising.
It requires more time and effort, and genuine experience or insight in order to target each niche. Because it’s more difficult to deploy niche advertising on Google search and paid search ads, you’ll see that it’s simply less competitive.
Niche Google search ads are less competitive
There are lots of large businesses advertising for the broad industry, and because you’ll be creating advertising for the niche keyword and having an optimized situation, you’re going to score a higher quality score and google ad rank.
2 - Niche Facebook & LinkedIn Lead Magnet Ads
Here's how to target B2B niches using a lead magnet on Facebook or LinkedIn.
- Create a resource people will want to download
- Create a Facebook & LInkedIn ad offering it in exchange for an email
- Nurture the emails into leads through email automation
This all starts with creating a piece of content that's actually really valuable.
The key to having a successful lead magnet campaign is that you really need to identify something that peaks the interest of your end-user.
They need to really want to know this information because it's based on a problem or a way that they can thrive or survive.
You cannot decide that this resource is important to them, you have to develop a true understanding and know what they value.
Steps to setup a B2B Niche Facebook Campaign:
- Create a specific resource, either a written article, video or audio download
- Create a sales page with a form to get access to the resource
- Write a compelling ad with great visuals
- Create an audience in Facebook that targets the niche
- Setup the campaign in Facebook Manager
- Setup the event as a cover
3 - Create Niche Youtube Videos for long tail keywords
Youtube is the second biggest search engine, and if you can create good content for your niche, you will get some of the highest quality engagement ever.
YouTube = easier to target & higher quality engagement.
My entire business has been built from the momentum I created on YouTube.
Google search and written website Content is ultra competitive, and YouTube is less competitive.
You might not be able to rank for "Websites for Accountants" on your website right away, but you might be able to create a video teaching folks about what makes a great accounting website through a YouTube video and rank much sooner.
Create niche content & optimize it for search engines.
What goes into YouTube search engine optimization?
- The title
- The words in the video
- The tags
- The overall content engagement
YouTube is easier to rank than web, and it creates a conversation.
If I could choose between 100 people clicking on my website interested in accountant websites, or if I could have 100 engagements on a video I have created about Accountant websites, I choose the video every time.
Video allows a conversation, you can portray your personality, and you can provide tremendous value quicker.
Video engagement is usually better than text.
If you create Content similar to blog posts in video form, you’ll find that the narrowing of the search will allow your YouTube video to rank and be found by people in your niche.
One major examples is "website companies" or "web designers" vs. "websites for accountants". The niche keyword is easier to rank AND using the less competitive search engine of youtube makes it even easier.
The other benefit of the YouTube videos is that you get a high quality conversation with them!
Instead of relying on someone reading your blog article, you get to have a conversation with them through video.
Bring the best parts of your personality and abilities to YouTube and you’ll see a new level engagement and traffic over time.
People eventually find your YouTube videos.
4 - Top and Middle of Funnel Content Marketing
To target a niche, you should write SEO optimized articles on your website meant to answer all the relevant questions they might have.
The goal of this written article is to rank in search engines and be used in email and social media lead magnet campaigns.
If you write it. Then Google and aging can use it as an answer in a search query.
There’s a great deal that goes into writing an excellent, authoritative articles, but here’s some tips:
How to write SEO Optimized Content for a Niche:
- Research a specific query to target.
- Research ancillary queries.
- Write 500-3500 word articles.
- Focus on making it engaging, it’s all about writing something that people actually read.
- Consider making a video that summarizes the information.
- Consider making an audio podcast that summarizes the information.
- Create supporting info graphics and images.
- Share & boost the article to speed up user engagement factors.
- Make adjustments and improve it over time.
Use blog categories wisely and sprinkle them throughout your website.
A good category system is a great way to help users find content that’s relevant to them.
Tags and categories are both ways to do this.
When you create authoritative content for all the questions someone might have in your niche, you'll experience increased momentum.
Benefits of Content Marketing for Niches:
- Your Google My Business Ranks Higher and More Often
- Your Home page ranks for more keywords and ranks higher
- Articles will rank and drive new customers
- Your website get's earmarked as authoritative and helpful by Google
- You have content to use in lead magnets
- Your overall time on page increases, make your website more engaging.
- People trust you more because they see you publish.
5 - Sub Website targeting the niche
The last way you can target a specific niche is to create a whole new website geared specifically to them.
You have to put in more time and money, but sometimes a Niche will want to see content specifically for them.
The benefits of creating a niche website to complement your primary brand are as follows
Benefits of Creating a Niche Website:
- Paid ads quality score goes up
- It’s easier to close
- Increased likelihood to rank for organic
- Increased footprint & internet web share
The problem is is that you have to work hard to get this website to rank and become an authoritative, trustworthy, and expert-based foot print the Google and Bing will trust.
That’s no small feat, so I usually recommend that people spend time amplifying their current website far before they open up a separate website.